Mukudzeyi Mukombe (born July 4, 1987), who performs under the name Jah Prayzah, is a Zimbabwean contemporary musician and lead member of the band Third Generation. He is popularly referred to by fans and media as "Musoja", the Shona word for "soldier", a name he earned mostly because of his signature band uniform of military regalia. The name "Jah Prayzah" comes from his name, "Mukudzeyi", which means "Praise Him".
Mukombe is the last born in a family of five. As a young boy he liked writing, reading his father's Shona novels, swimming in the river with friends, and hunting in the forests. Time and again he would come back home with his shorts torn from all the climbing and adventure. Most importantly, he liked to sing. He nurtured this habit through singing at school assemblies and at church, as well as playing the mbira with his teacher Mupa Musimbe. As he grew older and as his mbira skills improved, Mukombe felt confident and inspired to pursue his interests in music. People began to realize his natural gift in music and language, and encouraged him to be serious with it.
He attended Musanhi Primary School and later Musanhi High School in Murehwa in Mashonaland East Province. He then relocated to Harare where he stayed with his uncle and eventually completed his ordinary and advanced levels of education in Harare.
Mukombe's first experience with composing music was during his early years of high school. He started to record dancehall and reggae tracks with his friends with some tracks creating a vibe in the suburb, but failing to hit the national music scene. He later recorded contemporary music and afro jazztracks with DJ Thando and other local producers, releasing singles such as "Sorry Mama" and "Seiko".
He started his career in 2005. In 2007 he released his first commercially launched album, Sungano. He went on to release two more albums, Rudo neRunyararo and Ngwarira Kuparara. The latter was commercially successful and contained the singles "Maria" and "Dande", the latter of which featured Chiwoniso Maraire. Ngwarira Kuparara was commercially successful, and he was offered a contract for the Wednesday slots at a local Harare pub called Jazz 105.
In 2013 he released his fourth album Tsviriyo and won a NAMA award for song of the Year for the song "Gotchi Gotchi". In 2014 he released Kumbumura Mhute. In the same year he won five NAMA awards and two ZIMA awards.
In 2015 he opened a new studio and released his sixth studio album, Jerusarema.
His most notable work was a collaboration with award-winning Tanzanian artist Diamond Platnumz on his hit song "Watora Mari", which reached over a million views on YouTube in less than a month after its release. "Watora Mari" has enjoyed massive airplay on MTV Base and Trace Africa.
On 2 November 2018, Mukombe launched his eighth studio album titled Chitubu. The album features collaborations from well known African artists such as Patoranking and Sauti Sol. In 2019, Mukombe was nominated for the Best Male Artist in Southern Africa in the All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMAs).
- Chitubu (2 November 2018)
- Kutonga Kwaro (2017)
- Mdhara Vachauya (2016)
- Jerusarema (2015)
- Kumbumura Mhute (2014)
- Tsviriyo (2013)
- Ngwarira Kuparara (2012)
- Sungano Yerudo (2010)
- Rudo Nerunyararo (2007)
- MTV African Music Award 2016 - Listener's Choice Award
- NAMA 2013 Award for Song of the Year, "Gochi Gochi"
- 2013 Zimbabwe Peace ambassador award
- NAMA 2014 Awards - Outstanding Album, Tsviriyo
- NAMA 2014 Awards - Outstanding Song, "Tsviriyo"
- NAMA 2014 Awards - Outstanding Male Artist, Jah Prayzah
- NAMA 2014 Awards - Outstanding Video, "Mwanasikana"
- NAMA 2014 Awards - People's Choice, Jah Prayzah
- Zim Dream Online award- 2014
- NAMA 2016 Awards - Album of the Year
- NAMA 2016 Awards - Outstanding Male Artist
- ZIMA 2016 Awards - Artist of the Year
- ZIMA 2016 Awards - Traditional Song of the Year "Jerusarema"
- ZIMA 2016 Awards - Album of the Year, Jerusarema
- ZIMA 2016 Awards - Collaboration of the Year, "Kure Kure" ft. Ammara Brown
- Zimbabwe Achievers Awards - Best International Music Artist and he also performed with Nygyly Munyuki